Saturday, August 2, 2014

Those Long Summer Evenings

Long summer evenings are delightful! The days are long and filled with activity, but the light lasts beyond bedtime and who can resist going back outside for just a little more fun? So, as the sun was about to set at the end of another busy day, I headed out to enjoy the last of it.

The evening was cool and smelled sweet as the flowers closed up for their night's sleep. The robins were chattering, talking about the adventures of their day and where they would sleep, making sure the whole family was settled together. One lone goldfinch perched on the roof of the house and sang a long, melodious song. He's a tiny bird with a big voice.


I found my friends out on the front sidewalk. Carmela and Lily were taking their pets for a ride in the baskets of their bikes.


Mia came whizzing by on her skateboard. I've got to get her to teach me some of the tricks she does!


I saw Fiona coming home from playing basketball with friends.


Rosa was in her own world, sitting on the ground and playing with her new dolly.


We were all together and ready to head indoors when I remembered a favorite poem by Robert Louis Stevenson called "Bed At Night." Maybe you know it, too:

In winter I get up at night
And dress by yellow candle-light.
In summer quite the other way,
I have to go to bed by day.

I have to go to bed and see
The birds still hopping on the tree,
Or hear the grown-up people's feet
Still going past me in the street.

And does it not seem hard to you,
When all the sky is clear and blue,
And I should like so much to play,
To have to go to bed by day?

Good night!
~ Kiki

An important disclaimer! Human children should wear helmets and other protective gear when riding bikes or skateboarding. Our person felt that since we are dolls we could play without those things tonight, and she stayed nearby to make sure we were safe. Mia started to fall once, but our person caught her. Phew! Always be safe.


2 comments:

  1. Cute story! :) I love how all the dolls are doing different things. Summer evenings are the best! :)

    ~ Mint

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you are a great writer. I love reading your blog and hearing about your and your friends' adventures.

    ReplyDelete